Wednesday, August 7, 2013

1933 Interview

Hello, valued readers!  You are reading the latest from Live, Loud, & Local, an up-and-coming music blog based in Murfreesboro.  This update centers around 1933, a self described Americana/Indie/Rock group from here in middle Tennessee.

Recently, I was asked to describe what 1933 sounded like.  What I came up with, well, didn't make any sense.

So I tried again., and what I got was if the Strokes and the Black Keys had a kid, and then gave it to Kings of Leon to raise, that person is where 1933 is headed.

Maybe I'm over thinking this.

1933 (Which refer's to the year Prohibition ended)  consists of frontman Julien Smith, drummer Josh Kincaid, bassist Ryan Mclemore, and lead guitarist Kyle Mcgee.  The group, known for its antique look as much as its music, has been a work in progress for a number of years, with members coming in and leaving on an almost tryout basis.  However, the most current "lineup" of 1933 has a dynamic vibe and an exciting live performance that showcases their sound.


 1933 has a  musical style that is simultaneously easy to follow and catchy while still being solidly put together and thoughtful. I asked the guys about when things clicked (the "a-ha" moment, if you will) for 1933, and they told me that, while there is a definite competitiveness to the group's music making, "When we all sign off on a song, it becomes something special".


1933 is gaining momentum, both locally and on a more national stage.  On August 11th, the group is playing a show at Rocketown as part of the Evolution Music Tour. 










 Tickets are $15 dollars...to purchase one, get in touch with 1933 at:

 In addition, 1933 plans to release an EP in the upcoming months...keep checking in and I'll let you know what I find out about project.

Recently, I have been considering the merits of a shoulder/upper arm tattoo. I asked drummer Josh Kincaid, who conveniently already is a proud owner of such a tattoo, for his thoughts.  His response?  "Nothing is worse than having to call an audible because plan 'A' fell through".  

I have to confess that I have no idea what he was trying to tell me; it sounded...ominous.  



One thing I do know, however, is that 1933 continues to refine its sound and communicate to listeners in a loud and powerful way.  I will definitely be keeping an eye on these guys as they make their way forward, and I wish them the best of luck.







No comments:

Post a Comment