Wednesday, August 14, 2013

8.14.13. Great Shows Last Weekend!

Hello valued readers!  It has been a busy couple days for all of us, with school and music all roaring to life at once (or so it seems).

I saw mostly great shows, one NOT great show, and one PHENOMENAL show this last weekend, and I wanted to tell you all about them.

Highlight:  The opening night of Lightning 100's Live On The Green was absolutely amazing.  Gin Wicmore, ZZ Ward (whom I had never heard but was definitely impressed with), and Matt & Kim all brought great sound and even better energy to the stage.  Matt & Kim's set was especially thrilling, with balloons and crowd surfers flying in equal numbers. Also, I couldn't have asked for better weather.

If you get the opportunity to attend any of the LOTG shows, I suggest you take it. 
It's free, and the sound is always very good.  


Moving right along, I headed over Saturday night to the Josephine and the Wildfront EP release party at Little Shop of Records.  

Thats My Kid, She Lin Wolf, and JoandtheWF all gave quality performances, as well as a special guest performance by Josphine's producer, DJ Rob.  Though the setting was a little awkward, the music was without a doubt stellar.  You can check out 2 of these Middle Tennessee-based bands here:

To close out the night, I headed to the Ascent to hear Dear Salem, another local, 4 piece band.  They sounded wonderful (per usual), with a great mix both of styles and actual live sound. I am really looking forward to hearing them play larger venues...they certainly have the talent. take a listen to their sound here: 

Lowlight:  Monday night at 3 Brothers, I had the misfortune of hearing FLUMMOX for the first time.  FLUMMOX was...interesting. they started late, ran much longer than they should have, and were plagued with a number of difficulties ranging anywhere from squid hats falling off, to broken equipment, and then finally to the nadir of an onstage nip slip.  Needless to say, I was not impressed.  Not to discredit the individual music abilities of these guys; I'm sure they are all talented.  But the product was less than stellar and, quite often, laughable.

The night brightened, however, when Portland, Oregon-based band Insomniac Folklore took the stage.  The group, who's goal is to "make people think, and be aware" mixes quaint presentation, walking bass, twangy guitar and a stomp box to produce an altogether enjoyable sound.  

All in all, they were a solid finish to what was a overall a very enjoyable musical weekend. 


On a more personal note, I wanted to thank each of you who take the time to read my writing and recommend it to your peers.  I have had almost 300 reads in 3 posts, and I am obviously very excited by the response.  Keep reading, keep recommending, keep loving music yo.  Also, (as always) feel free to suggest shows to me, as well as music.  I'll give it a listen.  Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment